Life gets stressful, as we all know; between balancing busy work schedules and hectic family life, it can be hard to find time for yourself to renew and recharge. Massage therapy is a great way to treat yourself to some necessary relaxation so your body can release the physical tensions that you carry throughout each day, and it can be vital in maintaining your physical and mental health.
There are many types of massage available that can benefit you in different ways to suit your needs for releasing stress, tension, and pain, depending on what you are dealing with at the current moment. Understanding the differences between the styles can help you communicate to your therapist your specific needs.
Here is a quick rundown of the distinctions for each option:
- Swedish Massage is probably the most commonly thought of when people think about getting a relaxing massage. While the Swedish is relaxing, it goes deeper than that, literally. This modality is designed to increase oxygen levels in the blood while simultaneously detoxing muscles to help improve flexibility and circulation, easing stress and tension in the body.
- Deep Tissue is similar in style to Swedish but offers a deeper pressure to release prolonged or chronic tension in the muscles by targeting the deeper muscle tissue, fascia, and tendons.
- Sports Massage can help athletes recover faster from strenuous performances and, in cases of injury, can enhance the quality of the healing process.
- Aromatherapy uses the addition of essential oils to help with relaxation and improved circulation. These oils are extracted from herbs, plants, woods, roots, and flowers, and each has its own unique benefits, so be sure to talk to your therapist about what you want to concentrate on during your session.
- Trigger Point is utilized to relieve myofascial pain with compressions, passive stretching, and myomassage to increase range of motion and strength, alleviating pain.
- Cranial Sacral Therapy is a gentle way to restore balance within the central nervous system through the spinal fluid to target chronic pain and joint dysfunction. This is also a great compliment to chiropractic care.
- Prenatal/Pregnancy Massage helps to reduce the discomfort that comes with being pregnant while safely and effectively enhancing the physiological well-being of the mother and fetus. With proper and skilled touch, labor times may be shortened as well as reducing pain and anxiety. Postpartum massage techniques can help relieve tension and depression.
Regardless of the type of massage you are seeking, it is important to take time to treat your body and your mind to improve your physical and mental well-being often.